Monday August 18, 2008 6:52 pm
Box Office Breakdown: Dark Knight Struck Down by Tropic Thunder
Posted by Veronica Santiago Categories: 20th Century Fox, DreamWorks, MGM, Paramount, Sony, Universal, Warner Bros, Action, Adaptation, Adventure, Animation, Drama, Horror, Musicals, Romance, Sequels, Comedy, Thrillers, Box Office, Lists
Despite a somewhat disappointing opening last Wednesday ($6.5 million), Tropic Thunder actually managed to surpass the four-time box office winner. The comedy grossed $25.8 million over the past three days, nearly $10 million more than its caped competitor.
And while Ben Stiller should be happy by his movie’s accomplishment, the Dreamworks/Paramount film still left a lot to be desired. Recent comedies such as Get Smart ($38.6 million) and Step Brothers ($30.9 million) debuted to better numbers. But then those two films didn’t have a distraction like Michael Phelps to contend with.
Read More | Variety
In other news, The Dark Knight‘s $16.3 million take gave the sequel the extra boost it needed to finally pass Star Wars. The Warner Bros. film is now officially the second highest grosser of all time. Meanwhile, Vicky Cristina Barcelona ($3.7 million) gave Woody Allen his biggest debut since Small Time Crooks in 2000.
- Tropic Thunder, Dreamworks/Paramount, $25,812,796 (avg. $7777)
- The Dark Knight, Warner Bros., $16,379,293 (avg. $4562)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Warner Bros., $14,611,273 (avg. $4233)
- Mirrors, 20th Century Fox, $11,161,074 (avg. $4190)
- Pineapple Express, Sony, $9,808,295 (avg. $3193)
- The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, Universal, $8,205,720 (avg. $2440)
- Mamma Mia!, Universal, $6,096,250 (avg. $2200)
- Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2, Warner Bros., $5,785,250 (avg. $2132)
- Step Brothers, Sony, $4,807,904 (avg. $1816)
- Vicky Cristina Barcelona, MGM, $3,755,575 (avg. $5427)
(You can review last week’s numbers here.)
- Related Tags:
- abba, amanda seyfriend, amber tamblyn. alexis bledel, america ferrera, amy smart, batman, ben stiller, blake lively, box office, box office breakdown, brandon t jackson, brandon t. jackson, brendan fraser, christian bale, christopher nolan, danny mcbride, dark knight, david gordon green, heath ledger, horror, jack black, james franco, javier bardem, jay baruchel, jet li, john c reilly, john c. reilly, john hannah, kiefer sutherland, legendary pictures, luke ford, maggie gyllenhaal, mamma mia, maria bello, meryl streep, michelle yeoh, mirrors, musical, musicals, nick nolte, penelope cruz, pierce brosnan, pineapple express, rebecca hall, robert downey jr, robert downey jr, robert downey jr, robert downey jr., scarlett johansson, sequel, sequels, seth rogen, sisterhood of the traveling pants, sisterhood of the traveling pants 2, star wars the clone wars, star wars: the clone wars, step brothers, stepbrothers, steve coogan, the clone wars, the dark knight, the mummy, the mummy tomb of the dragon emperor, the mummy: tomb of the dragon emperor, tom cruise, tropic thunder, vicky cristina barcelona, warner bros., will ferrell, woody allen
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.