Sunday August 11, 2013 1:17 pm
Box Office Breakdown: ‘Elysium’ Faces Off Against ‘Millers,’ ‘Planes’
Posted by Robin Paulson Categories: 20th Century Fox, Buena Vista, Disney, Sony, Universal, Warner Bros, Action, Adaptation, Adventure, Animation, Family, Horror, Science Fiction, Sequels, Comedy, Box Office, New Releases
Despite falling in line with the sci-fi blockbuster theme this summer, District 9 director Neill Blomkamp's Elysium - starring Matt Damon and Jodi Foster - barely pulled ahead of three other newcomers at the theaters this weekend.
Elysium secured the top spot with $30.4 million while the Jason Sudeikis and Jennifer Aniston comedy We're the Millers placed second with $26.5 million. The latest Pixar flick Planes debuted at third place with $22.5 million while the teenage action film Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters took in $14.6 million in its first week, taking number four at the box office. Last week's number one film, 2 Guns, fell four positions to number five this week with its $11.1 million take.
Read More | Box Office Mojo
1. Elysium, TriStar, $30,400,000 (avg. $9,257)
2. We're the Millers, Warner Bros., $26,555,000 (avg. $8,146)
3. Planes, Disney, $22,525,000 (avg. $6,085)
4. Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters, Fox, $14,600,000 (avg. $4,817)
5. 2 Guns, Uni., $11,128,000 (avg. $3,675)
6. The Smurfs 2, Sony, $9,500,000 (avg. $2,457)
7. The Wolverine, Fox, $8,000,000 (avg. $2,790)
8. The Conjuring, Warner Bros., $6,700,000 (avg. $2,528)
9. Despicable Me 2, Universal, $5,748,000 (avg. $2,400)
10. Grown Ups 2, Sony, $3,700,000 (avg. $1,760)
- Related Tags:
- 2 guns, box office, box office breakdown, box office results, despicable me, elysium, grown up 2, grown ups, grown ups sequel, percy jackson, percy jackson 2, percy jackson: sea of monsters, planes, the conjuring, the smurfs, the smurfs 2, the smurfs sequel, the wolverine, we're the millers
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.