Monday September 28, 2009 5:04 pm
Box Office Breakdown: Meatballs Rolls to Another Victory
Posted by Veronica Santiago Categories: 20th Century Fox, FOCUS, Disney, Lionsgate, Sony, Touchstone, Universal, Warner Bros, Weinstein Company, Action, Adaptation, Adventure, Animation, Documentary, Drama, Family, Horror, Independent, Music, Period, Remakes, Romance, Science Fiction, Comedy, Thrillers, Box Office, Lists
Surrogates was no substitute for meatballs.
Despite competition from a Bruce Willis film, a music-based remake and a sci-fi horror entry, A Cloudy Chance of Meatballs remained the theatergoers’ order of choice for the second week in a row. The children’s book adaptation had Sony dining to the tune of $25 million—over $10 million more than the second place finisher.
Many thought Willis, who hasn’t had a major role since 2007’s Live Free or Die Hard, was on track to take first this weekend. Unfortunately, his
movie was considered a big letdown given its $15 million gross and $80 million budget. Meanwhile, Fame, a remake of the 1980 hit, had no one feeling like they wanted to live forever. The MGM feature only rung up $10 million for third place.
Read More | Variety
In indie news, Michael Moore’s latest documentary, Capitalism: A Love Story, turned out to the hottest ticket this weekend. The film - which opens wide this Friday - averaged a staggering $57,991 over only four theaters. That’s the highest per screen average for any film so far this year.
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Sony, $25,038,803 (avg. $8028)
- Surrogates, Touchstone, $14,902,692 (avg. $5050)
- Fame, MGM, $10,011,682 (avg. $3234)
- The Informant, Warner Bros., $6,624,085 (avg. $2644)
- Tyler Perry’s I Can Do Bad All By Myself, Lionsgate, $4,759,833 (avg. $2245)
- Pandorum, Overture, $4,424,126 (avg. $1765)
- Love Happens, Universal, $4,307,980 (avg. $2270)
- Jennifer’s Body, 20th Century Fox, $3,664,559 (avg. $1338)
- 9, Focus Features, $2,959,231 (avg. $1461)
- Inglourious Basterds, The Weinstein Company, $2,683,198 (avg. $1369)
(You can review last week’s numbers here.)
- Related Tags:
- 20th century fox, 9, aaron eckhart, adam brody, amanda seyfried, andy samberg, anna faris, bebe neuwirth, ben foster, bill hader, box office, box office breakdown, brad pitt, brandon camp, bruce willis, cam gigandet, capitalism, capitalism a love story, capitalism: a love story, chris miller, christian alvert, christoph waltz, cloudy with a chance of meatballs, columbia, dan fogler, dennis quaid, eli roth, elijah wood, fame, i can do bad all by myself, inglorious bastards, inglourious basterds, jennifer aniston, jennifer connelly, jennifer's body, jennifers body, joel mchale, jonathan mostow, karyn kusama, kelsey grammer, kevin tancharoen, love happens, martin landau, mary j blige, mary j. blige, matt damon, megan fox, megan mullally, mgm, michael moore, overture films, pandorum, phil lord, quentin tarantino, radha mitchell, rosamund pike, scott bakula, shane acker, sony, steven soderbergh, surrogates, taraji p henson, taraji p. henson, the informant, top 10 movies, top ten movies, touchstone, tyler perry, tyler perry's i can do bad all by myself, tyler perrys i can do bad all by myself, universal, warner bros, warner bros.
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.