Sunday January 6, 2013 10:34 pm
Box Office Breakdown: ‘Texas Chainsaw’ Cuts into Competition
Posted by Robin Paulson Categories: 20th Century Fox, Buena Vista, FOCUS, Lionsgate, Paramount, Universal, Warner Bros, Weinstein Company, Action, Adaptation, Adventure, Biopics, Drama, Family, Horror, Musicals, Period, Romance, Satire, Sequels, Comedy, Thrillers, Box Office, New Releases
Despite Oscar-worthy films like Les Miserables, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, and Django Unchained still playing in theaters, the $23 million in ticket sales for Texas Chainsaw proves that movie-goers are sometimes just looking for mindless gore fests.
Following the 3D sequel to the classic 1974 horror film, Django Unchained maintained its number two spot with $20 million. Last week's number one film, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, fell two spots to $17.5 million while Les Miserables fell one spot from last week to number four with $16.1 million. Billy Crystal's family comedy Parental Guidance also fell one spot to number five with $10.1 million.
Read More | Box Office Mojo
1. Texas Chainsaw 3D, Lionsgate, $23,000,000 (avg. $8,666)
2. Django Unchained, Weinstein Co., $20,082,000 (avg. $6,672)
3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Warner Bros., $17,525,000 (avg. $4,667)
4. Les Miserables (2012), Universal, $16,117,000 (avg. $5,550)
5. Parental Guidance, Fox, $10,125,000 (avg. $3,006)
6. Jack Reacher, Paramount, $9,300,000 (avg. $2,828)
7. This Is 40, Universal, $8,559,000 (avg. $2,920)
8. Lincoln, Buena Vista, $5,258,000 (avg. $2,766)
9. The Guilt Trip, Paramount, $4,530,000 (avg. $1,959)
10. Promised Land (2012), Focus, $4,312,000 (avg. $2,573)
- Related Tags:
- box office, box office breakdown, box office results, django unchained, jack reacher, les miserables, lincoln, parental guidance, promised land, sidefeatured, texas chainsaw, texas chainsaw 3d, the guilt trip, the hobbit, the hobbit: an unexpected journey, this is 40
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.