Monday July 28, 2008 2:44 pm
Box Office Breakdown: The Dark Knight Hits $300 Million
Posted by Veronica Santiago Categories: 20th Century Fox, Disney, Sony, Universal, Warner Bros, Action, Adaptation, Adventure, Drama, Family, Musicals, Romance, Science Fiction, Sequels, Comedy, Box Office, Lists, New Releases
Despite the combined forces of Ferrell/Reilly and Duchovny/Anderson, Team Bale/Ledger could not be slowed down.
This past week, The Dark Knight added a few more records to the franchise’s box office mantle:
- The film became the fastest movie ever to surpass the $300 million mark. (Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest crossed that line in 16 days; Knight did it in 10.)
- The sequel is now predicted to break $400 million in approximately 18 days. Shrek 2 took 43 days to the same in 2004.
- IMAX theaters also continue to benefit from the blockbuster’s success. Another $4.6 million was grossed over the weekend.
- It’s now believed the latest Batman installment could soar to $500 million - making it only the second movie to do so. Domestically, Titanic ($601 million) still reigns as the box office champ. (The original Star Wars pocketed $461 million while Shrek 2 earned $436 million.)
Read More | Variety
In other movie news, Step Brothers did surprisingly well despite the stiff competition. The comedy took in $30 million giving Will Ferrell his third best open (behind Talledega Nights and Blades of Glory). Meanwhile, The X-Files: I Want to Believe didn’t find many wanting to reminisce. The sequel - which cost $35 million to produce - pulled in only $10.2 million over the past three days.
- The Dark Knight, Warner Bros., $75,166,466 (avg. $17,216)
- Step Brothers, Sony, $30,940,732 (avg. $10,000)
- Mamma Mia!, Universal, $17,746,725 (avg. $5935)
- The X-Files: I Want to Believe, 20th Century Fox, $10,021,753 (avg. $3147)
- Journey to the Center of the Earth, Warner Bros., $9,717,217 (avg. $3615)
- Hancock, Sony, $8,311,123 (avg. $2512)
- Wall-E, Disney, $6,422,186 (avg. $2110)
- Hellboy II: The Golden Army, Universal, $5,100,305 (avg. $1690)
- Space Chimps, 20th Century Fox, $4,536,838 (avg. $1788)
- Wanted, Universal, $2,738,550 (avg. $1561)
(You can review last week’s numbers here.)
- Related Tags:
- 20th century fox, 3d, abba, amanda seyfriend, andy samberg, angelina jolie, animation, batman, ben burt, box office, box office breakdown, brendan fraser, charlize theron, cheryl hines, christian bale, christopher nolan, columbia, common, dark knight, david duchovny, disney, fred willard, gillian anderson, guillermo del toro, hancock, heath ledger, hellboy, hellboy 2, hellboy ii, hellboy ii the golden army, hellboy ii: the golden army, james mcavoy, jason bateman, jeff daniels, jeff garlin, john c reilly, john c. reilly, john ratzenberger, journey to the center of the earth, journey to the center of the earth 3d, kathy najimy, legendary pictures, maggie gyllenhaal, mamma mia, meryl streep, morgan freeman, musical, musicals, patrick warburton, pierce brosnan, pixar, ron perlman, selma blair, sequel, sequels, sigourney weaver, sony, space chimps, step brothers, stepbrothers, the dark knight, the golden army, the x-files, the x-files: i wanto believe, the xfiles, the xfiles i want to believe, universal, wall e, wall-e, wallâ€¢e, walle, wanted, warner bros., will ferrell, will smith, x-files, xfiles
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.