- STICKY POST
- I'm done, close this
Check out our 2013 Holiday Gift Guide, win some awesome gadgets!
Our 2013 Holiday Gift Guide is in full swing - we are adding our recommendations daily, aimed at men, women, teens, families, techies, and more. If you need help figuring out what to get the people in your life, head on over to our Guide for some ideas. We’ll even be giving away some of the items featured this year!
Latest Video: FilmCrunch 067: Hairspray, Chuck & Larry, Premonition reviewed
Shia LaBeouf may face legal action for plagiarism over a short film he made.
The Transformers actor could be taken to court after being accused of the "blatant" borrowing of another artist's story for his project Howard Cantour.com without giving proper credit. Shia's project, which debuted online on Monday follows the story of a troubled internet film critic, and is extremely similar to a 2007 graphic novella by artist Daniel Clowes called Justin M. Damiano.
According to the New York Daily News newspaper, Clowes declined to comment, but his publisher Fantagraphics' Eric Reynolds claims the artist "is exploring his legal options." "LeBeouf changed the name of the main character, but he used the comic as a direct script and storyboard. Clowes has a real melodramatic voice that is very idiosyncratic and LaBeouf just used the dialogue word for word. There is no ambiguity. There is no way that anybody wrote this but Dan Clowes. It just defies any kind of logic or good sense. This was so blatant and inexcusable that it was as baffling as it was appalling," Eric told the publication.
Shia has since apologized for copying ideas from Clowes in a heartfelt statement posted online, admitting how "embarrassed" he feels about the situation. Howard Cantour.com has since been taken off the internet.
Shia LaBeouf just can't come out with a project these days without stirring up a bit of controversy. Whether it's with Alec Baldwin on Broadway or Brad Pitt on the set of Fury, it seems as though he's constantly angering someone when it comes to his craft. Today, that someone is Ghost World artist Daniel Clowes.
Although his short film HowardCantour.com - which stars Jim Gaffigan - already premiered at last year's Cannes Film Festival, it was its online unveiling yesterday that allowed people to take notice and quickly thereafter become outraged over its blatant plagiarism of Clowes' 2007 comic Justin M. Damiano.
Read More | Buzzfeed
Christopher Mintz-Plasse says it's a "bummer" Jim Carrey doesn't want to promote Kick-Ass 2.
The veteran actor - who plays Colonel Stars and Stripes in the action sequel - withdrew his support of the film earlier this year, feeling it is too violent in light of the Sandy Hook school shootings, and his co-star is saddened by his decision but finds his opinion "understandable."
"It's a bummer because he's so good in the movie that I would love to have him promoting the movie, but with everything that's happened, it's totally understandable why [he doesn't want to]. We really upped the ante with the violence in this one and I think with all the tragedies that have happened this year, that's on people's minds, which is terrible. Violence is always controversial - nothing you can do."
Mintz-Plasse went on to defend Carrey's controversial decision, insisting it is difficult to envision how the film will look on screen compared to the script: "You read the script and you're like, 'Oh, it's violent,' but when you actually see it in front of you, it's a lot more violent than you think it's gonna be on the page. He saw the finished product and he just couldn't get behind it. I respect the guy's opinion."
For someone already accused of a serious sex crime here in the States, director Roman Polanski probably should have kept his recent comments at the Cannes Film Festival to himself.
The 79 year-old auteur has come under fire for his sexist remarks made at the film festival, where he is promoting his latest movie Venus in Fur. When asked how his view of women has changed over the years, Polanski uttered some eyebrow-raising words:
“Offering flowers to a lady has become indecent. I think to level the genders — it’s purely idiotic. I think it’s a result… of progress in medicine. I think that the Pill has changed greatly the woman of our times, ‘masculinizing’ her — how would you say it? [...] I think that it chases away the romance from our lives and that’s a great pity.”
As if he didn't already have enough people up in arms against him for the allegations made against him regarding the minor, Polanski surely now has many women signed up to boycott his work. Is anyone else wondering what his wife Emmanuelle Seigner thinks of all this?
Read More | Jezebel
Gerard Butler is suing the producers of Motor City for $5.1 million.
The 43-year-old actor has taken legal action against Emmett/Furla Films, producers of the axed crime drama, which fell through last summer when financial backing didn't work out, asking for damages due to not receiving a penny of his promised wages.
The Scottish stud is alleging breach of contract and breach of implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing because when he signed up to play the lead in the film about a crook on a mission for revenge, there was a "pay-or-play" clause. This would entitle the actor - who claims he turned down other acting work to appear in the movie - to $4 million regardless of whether the film got made, with up to an extra $2 million in compensation.
"Seeking to capitalize on Butler's hugely popular persona and worldwide recognition, Defendant solicited Butler's services as the lead actor in a theatrical motion picture tentatively entitled Motor City. After offering Butler the starring role in the motion picture on a pay-or-play basis, Defendant then used and exploited Butler's attachment to the motion picture to pre-sell the distribution rights and raise financing,"
Transformers star Shia LaBeouf has denounced the Hollywood studio system.
Explaining his efforts to steer his career towards more independent films, LaBeouf - who is set to star in the upcoming Lars Von Trier film Nymphomaniac - has slammed what he believes is an inability to be creative in the big-budgeted film environment.
"There's no room for being a visionary in the studio system. It literally cannot exist. You give Terrence Malick a movie like Transformers, and he's f****d. There's no way for him to exist in that world," he said.
LaBeouf did admit, however, to regretting his negative comments on Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (which prompted his co-star Harrison ford to call him an idiot): "He [Steven Spielberg] told me there's a time to be a human being and have an opinion, and there's a time to sell cars. It brought me freedom, but it also killed my spirits because this was a dude I looked up to like a sensei."
Read More | The Hollywood Reporter
Rupert Sanders' wife has banned him from directing Snow White and the Huntsman 2.
The 41-year-old filmmaker was lined up to return to the helm for the sequel but Liberty Ross has warned him to stay away if he wants to save their marriage following the revelation he cheated on her with the film's star Kristen Stewart.
"Liberty let it be known in no uncertain terms that Rupert can't direct the sequel to Snow White and the Huntsman. They are trying to work things out after he was caught having an affair, and that is one of the sticking points. She just doesn't want him to ever work with Kristen again. Rupert is obviously disappointed because Snow White and the Huntsman was his directorial debut, and he had hoped on building on that with a follow-up after some decent reviews. But he knows his actions were inexcusable, and he's going to have to bite the bullet and listen to his wife on this one," a source said.
The insider claimed studio Universal are prepared to find a new director, as Rupert never signed an official contract and they are determined to keep their lead actress.
Michael Bay has confirmed the forthcoming film version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will simply be called Ninja Turtles.
The director - who is producing the forthcoming film for Jonathan Liebesman - has admitted the name will be changed but said the lead characters would continue to be the same as how people know them.
"Paramount marketing changed the name. They made the title simple. The characters you all remember are exactly the same and yes they still act like teenagers. Everything you remember, why you liked the characters, is in this movie. The script is being developed by two very smart writers; with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles. They care VERY MUCH about making this film for the fans. Everyone on this team cares about the fans. Just give them a chance. Jonathan the director, is a major fan of the whole franchise. HE'S NOT GOING TO LET YOU DOWN.(sic)" he wrote on his official site.
It is not the first time Michael has had to take to the internet to calm claims about the movie - he asked fans to "take a breath" after uproar at the suggestion the Turtles; Leonardo, Donatello, Michaelangelo and Raphael, would be members of an alien race.
Michael Bay has called for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fans to "chill."
The filmmaker caused outrage when he recently claimed that the reboot of the project which he will be producing will show the main characters Leonardo, Donatello, Michelangelo and Raphael as members of an "alien race," but after vocal opposition from fans he has tried to allay the public's fears.
"Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world. Michael," he wrote on the forum of his site.
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) is divided about Ricky Gervais returning to host the Golden Globes.
The British comedian has sparked controversy for his put-downs and jokes at the expense of some of the film industry's biggest names - including Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp - in the past two years of presenting the awards, and now members have a few days to make a final decision. However, many are angry that network NBC, which hosts the show, is putting pressure on the Association to force them to accept him back.
"NBC has put the HFPA in a lose-lose situation. If the Hollywood Foreign Press says yes to Ricky, it risks turning the Globes into The Ricky Gervais Show and leaving the impression that they're annually throwing a great party while inviting someone who humiliates all of the guests. If it says no, the HFPA looks like it has no sense of humor about itself," a source said.
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.