- STICKY POST
- I'm done, close this
Check out our 2013 Holiday Gift Guide, win some awesome gadgets!
Our 2013 Holiday Gift Guide is in full swing - we are adding our recommendations daily, aimed at men, women, teens, families, techies, and more. If you need help figuring out what to get the people in your life, head on over to our Guide for some ideas. We’ll even be giving away some of the items featured this year!
Monday May 5, 2008 9:31 pm
Box Office Breakdown: Iron Man Strikes Gold
Posted by Veronica Santiago Categories: 20th Century Fox, Lionsgate, Paramount, Sony, Universal, Warner Bros, Action, Adaptation, Adventure, Drama, Family, Horror, Period, Romance, Science Fiction, Sequels, Comedy, Thrillers, Box Office, Lists, New Releases
Where exactly can the summer box office go from here?
This past weekend, Iron Man blasted into theaters in a big way. The comic book adaptation raked in a whopping $102 million putting an $87 million difference between itself and its nearest competitor. The PG-13 film officially became the 10th best opener of all time and had the second best premiere for any non-sequel. (Spider-Man grossed $114.8 million back in 2002.)
Read More | Variety
On any other weekend, Made of Honor might have had a chance at first place. Unfortunately, a normally respectable $5407 average just looked pale in comparison to Iron‘s $24,877 per screen take. Nevertheless, the romantic comedy’s $14.7 million gross was enough for a 2nd place finish.
Next Friday, the season’s latest spectacle (Speed Racer) and romantic comedy (What Happens in Vegas) will both make their debuts. Will either film be able to push out the latest Top Two?
1. Iron Man, Paramount, $102,118,668 (avg. $24,877)
2. Made of Honor, Sony, $14,756,850 (avg. $5,407)
3. Baby Mama, Universal, $10,065,010 (avg. $3,950)
4. Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay, Warner Bros., $6,114,373 (avg. $2,403)
5. Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Universal, $6,059,920 (avg. $2,110)
6. The Forbidden Kingdom, Lionsgate, $4,187,897 (avg. $1,415)
7. Nim’s Island, 20th Century Fox, $2,677,543 (avg. $1,081)
8. Prom Night, Sony, $2,403,313 (avg. $987)
9. 21, Sony, $2,002,471 (avg. $893)
10. 88 Minutes, Sony, $1,545,084 (avg. $875)
(You can review last week’s numbers here.)
- Related Tags:
- 21, 88 minutes, abigail breslin, al pacino, amy poehler, baby mama, box office, box office breakdown, brittany snow, forgetting sarah marshall, gerard butler, gwyneth paltrow, harold & kumar, harold & kumar escape from guantanamo bay, harold and kumar, harold and kumar escape from guantanamo bay, horror, iron man, jackie chan, jason segel, jet li, jim sturgess, jodie foster, johnathon schaech, jonathon schaech, judd apatow, kate bosworth, kevin spacey, kristen bell, made of honor, michelle monaghan, mila kunis, nim's island, nims island, patrick dempsey, poker, prom night, remake, robert downey jr, robert downey jr, robert downey jr, robert downey jr., sequel, stop loss, stop-loss, terrence howard, the forbidden kingdom, tina fey, universal
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.