Posted by Veronica Santiago Categories: Disney, Fox Searchlight, Paramount, Sony, Universal, Warner Bros, Weinstein Company, Action, Adaptation, Adventure, Animation, Biopics, Drama, Family, Period, Remakes, Science Fiction, Sequels, Comedy, Sports, Thrillers, Box Office, Lists
The Green Hornet, starring Seth Rogen and Jay Chou, brought in a lot green for Sony this weekend. Although the film came nowhere near its $110 million budget, Hornet did earn enough ($33.5 million) to make it the second-best grosser ever during the MLK Jr. holiday frame. (Cloverfield earned $40.1 million over its first three days in 2008.)
Despite the combined comedic forces of Vince Vaughn and Kevin James, The Dilemma turned out to be more of a non-issue. The Universal entry -- which cost $70 million to produce -- failed to even crack the $20 million mark. That's the worst debut for Vaughn since 2007's Fred Claus and the worst open for James ever (if you don't count the films he only voiced).
Read More | Box Office Mojo
Posted by Veronica Santiago Categories: Disney, Fox Searchlight, Paramount, Sony, Universal, Warner Bros, Weinstein Company, Action, Adaptation, Animation, Drama, Family, Music, Remakes, Sequels, Comedy, Sports, Thrillers, Box Office, Lists
Gwyneth Paltrow's appearances on Glee, the Country Music Awards and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon couldn't help her film's performance at the box office.
Country Strong's first week in wide release strummed up less than $10 million over the past three days. The good news? The film only cost approximately $12 million to produce. In comparison, True Grit -- another film in its third week -- finally rode past Little Fockers for a first-place finish.
Meanwhile, Season of the Witch, the only other new entry in the Top Ten, fired up $10.6 million. That was enough to give the Nicolas Cage feature a third place debut.
Read More | Box Office Mojo
Here are a few selections in theaters this weekend:
- Country Strong** (PG-13): starring Gwyneth Paltrow, Tim McGraw, Garrett Hedlund (directed by Shana Feste)
- Season of the Witch (PG-13): starring Nicolas Cage, Ron Perlman, Ulrich Thomsen (directed by Dominic Sena)
- Americatown* (NR): starring Jonathan Guggenheim, Cory Howard, Jon Stafford (directed by Kenneth Price)
- If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle* (NR): starring George Pistereanu, Ada Condeescu, Mihai Constantin (directed by Florin Serban)
- No One Killed Jessica* (NR): starring Vidya Balan, Rani Mukherjee, Rajesh Sharma (directed by Raj Kumar Gupta)
- Phil Ochs: There But for Fortune* (NR): (directed by Kenneth Bowser)
- The Time That Remains* (NR): starring Ali Suliman, Ella Suleiman, Saleh Bakri (directed by Ella Suleiman)
© Gear Live Media, LLC. 2007 – User-posted content, unless source is quoted, is licensed under a Creative Commons Public Domain License. Gear Live graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, videos, articles, blogs, forums, scripts and other service names are the trademarks of Gear Live Inc.